Friday, December 16, 2016

Book Club Magic

My sister Laurie asked me to recommend a book for her neighborhood book club. November was her month to select the book and lead the discussion. She reached out to me because every so often the club diverts from reading novels to "your type of book" she said. In other words, something that's inspiring and motivating.

I thought about the recent books I had read and one immediately came to mind: Big Magic—Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert. Laurie liked the title and decided to go with it. As the evening approached, I got a text message.

(Ping) Would you give me some discussion questions for our meeting?


Sure. I'd love to. Do you want me to drive over (3 hours) to lead the discussion? (I turn everything into a seminar!)

(Ping) No thanks. We mostly talk and drink wine.

Since the club likely overlooked the effort I put into developing thought-provoking questions, I decided to share these ideas with you. Even if you haven't read Gilbert's book (which I recommend reading) her quotes will help stimulate responses to the following questions.

"When I refer to 'creative living,' I'm speaking more broadly. I'm talking about a life that is driven more strongly by curiosity than by fear." 
  • What do you think of when you hear the phrase "creative living?" Do you desire to live a creative life?
 
"I finally realized that my fear was boring."
 
  • If you accept that your fear is boring, how will this change your life or your decisions?
 
"What do you love doing so much that the words failure and success essentially become irrelevant?"
 
  • How will you answer this question? What will you do about it?
 
"And any motion whatsoever beats inertia, because inspiration will always be drawn to motion." 
 
  • What can you put into motion, even if you don't have a clear vision of where you're going?
 
"Do whatever brings you life, then. Follow your own fascinations, obsessions, and compulsions. Trust them. Create whatever causes a revolution in your heart."
 
  • What causes a revolution in your heart? How will you respond?


As we close out this year, my hope is that your retirement years will be magical. Not because a fairy godmother grants your wish, but because you commit to creating a life that is engaging, enthralling and enchanting. The magic is in the motion.



Copyright 2016. Patrice Jenkins. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: