Friday, July 6, 2018

Full of Yourself


-->
Lady was full of herself, likes to be on stage.”

How would you respond if you received this feedback after speaking to a group of retiring educators?

Nobody likes to receive negative feedback. Even when it’s a very small, insignificant percentage of the whole, we tend to dwell on the negative. In fact, research suggests our memory of negative emotions and experiences is four times stronger than our ability to remember positive emotions and events. This is probably why I forgot about the glowing comments and kept thinking about being “full of herself.”


That is until I thought more about what it means to be full of myself. I understand the comment was not meant in a positive way, but when it comes to helping people prepare for the non-financial side of retirement, this lady is “full of herself." My understanding and knowledge of what contributes to thriving in retirement has helped hundreds of people navigate this next stage of life. And so I’m on stage. And I want other people to find their stage in retirement too.


Where are you feeling full of yourself and where is this going to show up in your retirement years? What strengths do you love sharing with the world? What “stage” do you want to be on?

What are you going to do about the negative people who don’t want you to have your stage? The ones who say, “Who do you think you are?” Will you let them keep you from doing what you love to do? I hope not. Instead, ask yourself, “Who do I think I am?” and then share this with the world.

Find your stage. Be full of yourself.

Copyright 2018. Patrice Jenkins. All Rights Reserved.


1 comment:

Patty Newbold said...

Who do I think I am? A perfect question for moving into a higher level of our lives as we retire. Thanks for this, Patrice!