Saturday, April 11, 2020

A Bigger Vision


I want to create a vision board to hang in my home office. I limited my search to Pottery Barn because I had two coupons that were going to expire. Fortunately, I found exactly what I was looking for—a beautiful linen corkboard that’s available in two sizes: 2x3 foot and 3x4 foot. The cost of the larger board is only one-third more than the smaller one, and yet it is twice as big. It makes sense to buy the bigger board, and so I did.

When the package arrived, the board looked really big. I questioned if it would proportionately fit on the wall above my desk. In fact, it does. The wall is big enough for the board. So now the question is, “Is my vision big enough for the board?”

My plan for the vision board is to create a space to display dreams, goals, and images or objects that awaken creative thinking. Maybe paint samples for home decorating. Fabric samples for the business I’m dreaming about. Quotes that are inspiring. Pictures that bring back happy memories. I want my board to be a place of beauty and inspiration.

Questioning if I had enough to fill the board, I considered returning it to the store to buy the smaller panel. The 2x3 foot might be about the size of my dreams. But then I thought, what if I expand my dreams to fit the board?

Authors Gary Keller and Jay Papasan, in their book The One Thing, state, “When you lift the limits of your thinking, you expand the limits of your life. It’s only when you can imagine a bigger life that you can ever hope to have one.”

Buy the bigger board.

Copyright 2020. Patrice Jenkins. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: